Space OPIR Systems EngineerLocation: Chantilly, Virginia Categories: Engineering Req ID: 2022-7240 Potential to Telecommute: Hybrid
MTSI is searching for a highly skilled Overhead Persistent Infrared (OPIR) Systems Engineer to fill a SETA (Scientific, Engineering, and Technical Assistance) position with the Space Development Agency (SDA). SDA is breaking the norms of the DoD acquisition cycle, delivering a new tranche of hundreds of satellites every two years. The IR Sensor Systems Engineer will work with SDA's Tracking Layer to develop systems that provide global monitoring, warning, and targeting of advanced, hypersonic missile threats. This cutting-edge position will support the development of new IR sensor designs and approaches, sensor processing algorithms, and will also be responsible for performing key systems engineering functions such as making system level trades and designing new architectures. This is a full-time position that is part of a team of MTSI personnel providing SETA support to SDA and can be located in Chantilly, VA, Huntsville, AL, or Colorado Springs, CO. (Remote work or work from home arrangements are possible with the understanding that occasional travel of approximately 30% will be required.)
At MTSI, our more than 1,600+ co-owners recognize the high demand for specialized professionals within our industry and that you have many options to choose from. We support some of the most important and critical programs to our national security and defense within aviation, space, ballistic missile and unmanned systems. We specialize in Systems engineering & integration, modeling & simulation, acquisitions & program support, test & evaluation, mission assurance & cybersecurity to name a few.
As an 100% employee owned company where culture matters we all have a stake in each other's success, and the success of our customers and we believe that by investing in our people we are investing in our company’s future! As our first core value stats, MTSI is an "employees come first" company with over 29 years of consecutive growth sense 1993 and a 91% retention rate across our entire organization, we challenge our co-owners to provide the highest level of support and service, and reward them with some of the best benefits in the industry. Check out MTSI's 4.7 rating on GLASSDOOR
Day one all new co-owners start accruing PTO at a rate of 20 days + 10 federal holidays/year with (flexible schedules), semi-annual bonuses, 6% 401k match with immediate vesting, and eligibility to participate in our Company funded Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) - a separate qualified retirement account. We also offer other employee focused benefits, including up to $10,000 in annual tuition reimbursement and an optional zero deductible Blue Cross/Blue Shield health insurance plan.
For additional company information: www.mtsi-va.com
As an Overhead Persistent Infrared (OPIR) Systems Engineer with MTSI, you will apply knowledge and expertise to perform technical engineering support and analysis of spacecraft, payloads, and OPIR sensing systems working with the SDA tracking cell to review the performance and design of the Tracking Layer vendors and develop requirements for the future tranches of the SDA Tracking Layer. You will participate in program level reviews, develop strategic plans, and perform algorithmic and design assessments. This is a full-time position that is part of a team of MTSI personnel providing SETA support to SDA and can be located in Chantilly, VA, Huntsville, AL, or Colorado Springs, CO. (Remote work or work from home arrangements are possible with the understanding that occasional travel of approximately 30% will be required.)
Your essential job functions will include but may not be limited to:
- Analyzing Warfighter requirements and providing recommendations based on scientific and engineering, hardware, and software technical baselines.
- Providing recommendations on systems integration and engineering baseline changes and assessing the technical maturity and risk of development projects.
- Assisting the Government team on potential solutions across a wide variety of multi-domain, tactical, and mission area applications.
- Assisting the Government team with monitoring and assessment of OPIR sensor approaches for high velocity targets.
- Reviewing contractor hardware and algorithmic designs for sensor collection.
- Reviewing and contributing to ground based data processing of sensor data.
- Assessing and integrating engineering activities across multiple projects and multiple program areas.
- Recommending and coordinating development with related activities of other DoD and non-DoD agencies.
- Assisting with analysis of the design, assembly, integration and testing, and data reduction of proposed technical solutions and formulating evaluation criteria of those solutions.
- Distilling and communicating technically complex information and analysis and recommending solutions to the program management team on proposed projects for feasibility and applicability to relevant military mission areas and related activities.
- Preparing, reviewing, and editing reports and briefings.
- Participating in risk identification and formulating mitigation plans for contractor project activities.
- Attending project meetings and reviews to include technical interchange meetings, design reviews, and program management reviews.
- Assisting the Government in analyzing contractor concept designs at the system and subsystem levels.
- 10+ years' of experience in the design, development, and or implementation of OPIR ground and/or space-based sensors and systems, or a closely related field.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- 5+ years’ experience in the DoD or Intelligence Community.
- Track record of systems engineering support related to OPIR sensor development and processing.
- Expertise in IR sensor processing algorithms.
- Expertise in IR sensor hardware.
- Bachelor’s degree in physics, aerospace engineering, or a closely related field from an accredited university.
- Active Secret Clearance, (to start).
- Active Top Secret Clearance, (DESIRED).
- TS/SCI Eligibility, (Required to maintain position).
- U.S. Citizenship is required for this position.
Opportunities at MTSI
- Joint Simulation Environment - Deputy to the Chief Engineer Edwards Air Force Base,California 02/01/2023
- System Engineering Assurance Engineer Fort Belvoir,Virginia 02/03/2023
- Senior Budget Analyst Huntsville,Alabama 02/03/2023
MTSI maintains an outstanding work environment that includes competitive compensation, outstanding benefits, the opportunity to be an employee-owner, and challenging work assignments with significant opportunities for advancement/career growth. To be considered for employment opportunities at MTSI, you must complete an online application.
EEO Statement: MTSI embraces nine core values including our first core value of Employees come first. Consistent with our Core Values, we are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, military/veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by law. MTSI is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with MTSI and need special assistance or accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation is made on a case-by-case basis.
MTSI posts all open positions of employment here on our official website Careers page. MTSI Recruiters will always make direct personal contact with candidates by either speaking directly via telephone call, face-to-face video conference, or in-person, and will never conduct interviews or extend offers of employment via text or using messaging applications. If you believe you may be the victim of employment fraud, we encourage you to contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) thru their website: reportfraud.ftc.gov.