Space Systems EngineerLocation: Chantilly, Virginia Categories: Engineering Req ID: 2022-7236 Potential to Telecommute: Hybrid
MTSI is searching for a highly skilled Space Systems Engineer to fill a SETA (Scientific, Engineering, and Technical Assistance) position with the Space Development Agency (SDA). SDA is breaking the norms of the DoD acquisition cycle, delivering a new tranche of hundreds of satellites every two years. SDA is a fast-paced organization and is changing the way that the Department of Defense acquires space systems. The NDSA consists of several layers, including the Transport Layer, the Tracking Layer, and the Support Layer. The Transport Layer provides the backbone of the NDSA through the development and deployment of optical intersatellite links on hundreds of satellites and the space-based implementation of tactical data links. The Tracking Layer provides real-time threat detection and characterization, The Support Layer enables the architecture through the development and deployment of the ground segment. The Space Systems Engineer will support the Government in all aspects of the program, including systems engineering, programmatic support, and design recommendations. This is a full-time position that is part of a team of MTSI personnel providing SETA support to SDA and can be located in Chantilly, VA, Huntsville, AL, or Colorado Springs, CO. (Remote work or work from home arrangements are possible with the understanding that occasional travel may be required.)
At MTSI, our more than 1,600+ co-owners recognize the high demand for specialized professionals within our industry and that you have many options to choose from. We support some of the most important and critical programs to our national security and defense within aviation, space, ballistic missile and unmanned systems. We specialize in Systems engineering & integration, modeling & simulation, acquisitions & program support, test & evaluation, mission assurance & cybersecurity to name a few.
As an 100% employee owned company where culture matters we all have a stake in each other's success, and the success of our customers and we believe that by investing in our people we are investing in our company’s future! As our first core value stats, MTSI is an "employees come first" company with over 29 years of consecutive growth sense 1993 and a 91% retention rate across our entire organization, we challenge our co-owners to provide the highest level of support and service, and reward them with some of the best benefits in the industry. Check out MTSI's 4.7 rating on GLASSDOOR
Day one all new co-owners start accruing PTO at a rate of 20 days + 10 federal holidays/year with (flexible schedules), semi-annual bonuses, 6% 401k match with immediate vesting, and eligibility to participate in our Company funded Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) - a separate qualified retirement account. We also offer other employee focused benefits, including up to $10,000 in annual tuition reimbursement and an optional zero deductible Blue Cross/Blue Shield health insurance plan.
For additional company information: www.mtsi-va.com
As an Space Systems Engineer with MTSI will apply knowledge and expertise to perform technical engineering support and analysis of spacecraft and payloads, including assembly, test, and integration. This is a full-time position that is part of a team of MTSI personnel providing SETA support to SDA and can be located in Chantilly, VA, Huntsville, AL, or Colorado Springs, CO. (Remote work or work from home arrangements are possible with the understanding that occasional travel may be required.)
Your essential job functions will include but may not be limited to:
- Overseeing the design and integration of multiple space vehicles and payloads, including optical intersatellite links, tactical data links, EO/IR detection sensors, and dynamic network implementations on a rapid development timeline.
- Provide systems engineering guidance in the development of test and evaluation plans, system verification plans, and other systems engineering processes and documents.
- Providing recommendations on systems integration and engineering baseline changes and assessing the technical maturity and risk of development projects.
- Managing technical risk across the entire NDSA recommending mitigation techniques.
- Assisting the Government team on potential solutions across a wide variety of multi-domain, tactical, and mission area applications.
- Developing CONOPs and operational plans at both the system and mission levels.
- Recommending and coordinating development with related activities of other DoD and non-DoD agencies.
- Assisting with analysis of the design, assembly, integration and testing, and data reduction of proposed technical solutions and formulating evaluation criteria of those solutions.
- Providing lessons learned from past experience.
- Attending project meetings and reviews to include technical interchange meetings, design reviews, and program management reviews.
- Assisting the Government in analyzing contractor concept designs at the system and subsystem levels.
- 10+ years' of experience in satellite systems engineering or a closely related field.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- 5+ years’ experience in the DoD or Intelligence Community
- Experience working with commercial and/or Government satellite systems.
- Experience as a lead or chief engineer of a large satellite project.
- Hands-on experience in the assembly, integration, and test of satellites and payloads.
- Detailed knowledge and experience in one of the following areas:
- Optical communications links.
- IR sensor Processing Algorithms and sensor hardware.
- Mesh Networking.
- Tactical data links including IBS or Link 16.
- Bachelor’s degree in aerospace engineering, electrical engineer, systems engineering, physics, or a closely related field from an accredited university.
- Master’s degree in aerospace engineering, electrical engineer, systems engineering, physics, or a closely related field from an accredited university, (DESIRED).
- Active Secret Clearance, (to start).
- Active Top Secret Clearance, (DESIRED).
- TS/SCI Eligibility, (Required to maintain position).
Opportunities at MTSI
- Joint Simulation Environment - Deputy to the Chief Engineer Edwards Air Force Base,California 02/01/2023
- System Engineering Assurance Engineer Fort Belvoir,Virginia 02/03/2023
- Senior Budget Analyst Huntsville,Alabama 02/03/2023
MTSI maintains an outstanding work environment that includes competitive compensation, outstanding benefits, the opportunity to be an employee-owner, and challenging work assignments with significant opportunities for advancement/career growth. To be considered for employment opportunities at MTSI, you must complete an online application.
EEO Statement: MTSI embraces nine core values including our first core value of Employees come first. Consistent with our Core Values, we are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, military/veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by law. MTSI is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with MTSI and need special assistance or accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to email@example.com. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation is made on a case-by-case basis.
MTSI posts all open positions of employment here on our official website Careers page. MTSI Recruiters will always make direct personal contact with candidates by either speaking directly via telephone call, face-to-face video conference, or in-person, and will never conduct interviews or extend offers of employment via text or using messaging applications. If you believe you may be the victim of employment fraud, we encourage you to contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) thru their website: reportfraud.ftc.gov.