Data Engineer Mid-levelLocation: Colorado Springs, Colorado Categories: Engineering Req ID: 2022-7063 Potential to Telecommute: No
Modern Technology Solutions, Inc. (MTSI), is seeking a Data Engineer - Mid-level in Colorado Springs, CO..
At MTSI, our more than 1,400 co-owners recognize the high demand for specialized professionals within our industry and that you have many options to choose. As an employee owned company where culture matters, we believe that by investing in our people we are investing in our company’s future!
MTSI’s core capabilities run deep across a multitude of areas to include Systems Engineering & Technical Assistance, Integration, Modeling & Simulation, Test & Evaluation, Acquisitions & Program Support, and Mission Assurance services. Our expertise includes ballistic missile defense, air defense, air vehicle survivability, unmanned aircraft, flight test operations, intelligence support, cyber security, space and homeland defense.
Our first core value is that employees come first. We challenge our co-workers to provide the highest level of support and service, and reward them with some of the best benefits in our industry. All new co-workers start accruing PTO at a rate of 20 days plus 10 federal holidays, 6% 401k company match with immediate vesting, semi-annual bonuses, and eligibility to participate in our Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). We offer other employee focused benefits, including up to $10k in tuition reimbursement and an optional zero dollar deductible BCBS health insurance plan.
For additional company information, please visit: www.mtsi-va.com
Job Description: Seeking a mid-level Data Engineer as a key member of the Missile Defense Agency (MDA), Engineering team, providing data engineering expertise, while conducting research and development for artificial Intelligence and data science projects. Our team is sought after by leadership and peers to work their most ambiguous ideas and challenges due to our high degree of out of the box thinking, willingness to try something new, and no fear of failure. Our success is driven by every member of the team government and contractors alike striving to do the best they can. We work across the entire MDA Engineering Enterprise working to strengthen and enable every element and component.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- This position provides data engineering support to enhance the Missile Defense Agency (MDA) Engineering Enterprise program office looking to employ modern digital engineering and data science approaches across the lifecycle and connecting engineering, test, business, contract, and finance data of different types together. The Data Engineer works with MDA engineers to capture and understand both authoritative data and non authoritative data, its meaning, and relation to other data and how to meaningfully use it to develop data stories that can be automated. This position will identify potential improvements to data sources themselves, collection methods, processes and supporting systems. The position participates in the development of an enterprise wide system-of-systems engineering effort between the element weapon system program offices and the MDS system offices ensuring that the program offices are integrated and aligned working with weapon system prime contractors to deliver capability.
- Analysis of engineering and program office activities to help identify ways to apply digital transformation practices.
- Facilitating adoption of data engineering processes across MDA Engineering Enterprise in the Digital Engineering and Software Development DevSecOps functional areas.
- Responsible for building data pipelines to pull together data from different source systems.
- Works closely with data managers, systems engineers, and IT Services to understand architectural path between data sources and sinks across the organization.
- Assist in making data easily accessible and optimized for organizational use.
- In addition, the data engineer will assist Product and Data Owners to refine their data usage and provide organizational implementation strategy, training, and metrics.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Degree in engineering, computer science, or related technical data intensive discipline plus 10-15 years of directly related experience. Additional relevant experience will be considered in lieu of a degree
- Practical experience as a data engineer or working engineering data intensive analysis of systems who understands the needs between software engineers, data scientist, and other data workers
- Experience with accessing and structuring data (SQL, Python) and production database development in a Business Unit or larger scope (Relational SQL, Non-Relational DBs)
- Experiencing creating fully automated end to end Data Pipelines and tools involved (eg Airflow, NiFi)
- Knowledge of Cloud technologies – experience with hybrid cloud data provisioning a plus
- Knowledge of and experience in the MDA Systems engineering lifecycle processes
- Software development experience across the development lifecycle
- Desire to have experience documenting and standardizing processes into commonly accessible digital methods
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a group
- Ability to effectively participate and collaborate with functionally and geographically diverse teams of engineering professionals with differing perspectives, skills, and backgrounds
- Ability to effectively communicate complex ideas to non-technical stakeholders and non-agile data trained people, both in written and spoken forms
- Ability to provide significant contribution in the areas of creative thinking, problem solving, analytical thinking, strategic thinking and out-of-the-box thinking
- Energetic, motivated, self-starting
- Understanding of the MDS system implementation. Demonstrated ability to analyze complex data sets utilizing software tools. Experience in test analysis of missile defense in the areas of Link-16, Aegis, THAAD, GMD, C2BMC, AN/TPY-2, Overhead Sensors, and/or Patriot desired
- Experience in evaluating system performance, enhancing system operations and data processing
- Previous experience in any of the MDS element or subcomponents activities
- Experience working with systems-of-systems or family-of-systems, preferably in a DoD context
- Experience in the use and analysis of data for complex systems, preferable for the MDS
- Ability to lead functionally and geographically dispersed teams of engineering professionals with differing perspectives, skills, and backgrounds
Security Clearance Requirements:
- Position requires that candidate possess, or be able to acquire an active SECRET security clearance in order to access classified information. Inability to maintain a security clearance will result in candidate being ineligible to support this position.
Please Note: U.S. Citizenship is required for most MTSI positions.
Opportunities at MTSI
- Mechanical/Structural Engineering SME Huntsville,Alabama 12/02/2022
- Principal Model Based Systems Engineer - MBSE Digital Engineering Alexandria,Virginia 10/11/2022
- Junior Model Based Systems Engineer / MBSE Digital Engineering Alexandria,Virginia 10/11/2022
MTSI maintains an outstanding work environment that includes competitive compensation, outstanding benefits, the opportunity to be an employee-owner, and challenging work assignments with significant opportunities for advancement/career growth. To be considered for employment opportunities at MTSI, you must complete an online application.
EEO Statement: MTSI embraces nine core values including our first core value of Employees come first. Consistent with our Core Values, we are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, military/veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by law. MTSI is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with MTSI and need special assistance or accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to email@example.com. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation is made on a case-by-case basis.
MTSI posts all open positions of employment here on our official website Careers page. MTSI Recruiters will always make direct personal contact with candidates by either speaking directly via telephone call, face-to-face video conference, or in-person, and will never conduct interviews or extend offers of employment via text or using messaging applications. If you believe you may be the victim of employment fraud, we encourage you to contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) thru their website: reportfraud.ftc.gov.