Senior Systems AdministratorLocation: Alexandria, Virginia Categories: Information Technology Req ID: 2022-7175 Potential to Telecommute: Hybrid
Own Your Future. Modern Technology Solutions, Inc. (MTSI) is seeking a Senior System Administratorin Alexandria, VA.
Why is MTSI known as a Great Place to Work?
- Interesting Work: Our co-workers support some of the most important and critical programs to our national defense and security.
- Values: Our first core value is that employees come first. We challenge our co-workers to provide the highest level of support and service, and reward them with some of the best benefits in the industry.
- 100% Employee Ownership: we have a stake in each other's success, and the success of our customers. It's also nice to know what's going on across the company; we have company wide town-hall meetings three times a year.
- Great Benefits - Most Full-Time Staff Are Eligible for:
- Starting PTO accrual of 20 days PTO/year + 10 holidays/year
- Flexible schedules
- 6% 401k match with immediate vesting
- Semi-annual bonus eligibility (July and December)
- Company funded Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) - a separate qualified retirement account
- Up to $10,000 in annual tuition reimbursement
- Other company funded benefits, like life and disability insurance
- Optional zero deductible Blue Cross/Blue Shield health insurance plan
- Track Record of Success: We have grown every year since our founding in 1993
For additional company information, please visit: www.mtsi-va.com
The Senior Systems Administrator develops and maintains all systems, applications, security and network configurations. Responsible for installing new software releases, system upgrades, installing patches and resolving server and desktop related issues. Troubleshoots network performance issues and maintains networking hardware. Engineer solutions, research, and plans for adoption of new technologies to provide a competitive advantage to the company. Establishes practices, procedures, and concepts related to Information Technology as it relates to the organization
- Work in a team of System Administrators to maintain oversight of Enterprise patching systems, ensuring all clients and servers are fully patched.
- Work in a team of System Administrators to manage software distribution systems handling the creation and maintenance of software deployments for the Enterprise.
- Work with the Security team on cyber-security issues such as malware removal, incident response, and vulnerability management
- Work with the Sr. Network Engineer to administer MTSI’s VMware vSphere environment, including security patching, storage management, host maintenance, and VM creation and management
- Handle system maintenance, antivirus updates, install/upgrade operating systems and application software and perform software/hardware changes
- Implement and maintain system backups as needed
- Deploy and configure desktops/laptops, printers, networking devices, servers and software
- Troubleshoot network hardware/software (routers, switches, etc.), desktops, laptops and servers
- Image systems with Microsoft Development Toolkit (MDT)
- Diagnose Windows 10/11, Office 2016/2019/365 and other application issues
- Track and maintain computer assets using asset management tools and ensure asset management systems have up-to-date information.
- Provide analysis related to the design, development, and implementation of hardware and software solutions
- Manage all aspects of Windows Active Directory infrastructure
- Installation, configuration, and support of servers, enterprise storage and associated equipment, network and direct attached storage systems and associated equipment
- Plan and coordinate system utilization, and perform growth analysis and capacity planning
- Review current system and make technical/process recommendations for improving efficiency
- Coordinate with customers to upgrade, retire or consolidate applications and server hardware as appropriate
- Research and/or contact vendors regarding technical problems and solutions
- Document system deployments and configurations
- 8+ years of experience in IT System Administration
- Strong Microsoft Windows background with some knowledge of UNIX/LINUX
- Knowledge of various computer software applications, hardware platforms, networking components and LAN/WAN architecture
- Experience managing user and group permissions and overall user account management in Active Directory
- Experience troubleshooting redirected folders and offline file synchronization issues
- Experience building, monitoring, patching, configuring and troubleshooting Windows 2016/2019/2022 servers
- Experience administering Office 365, including Azure Active Directory and Exchange Online e-mail administration
- Experience troubleshooting common networking issues on client systems
- Strong knowledge of standard networking protocols such as TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, and network hardware such as switches and routers
- Experience with storage management, such as partitioning local disks and/or SAN/NAS implementations
- Experience administering VMware vSphere
- Experience with ManageEngine Endpoint Central (formerly Desktop Central)
General experience should include:
- Experience in a fast-paced environment
- Deep interest in learning and developing new skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently
- Ability to work well independently as well as follow detailed instructions for completing tasks
- Must be a team player and be able to work within all levels of a project team
- Excellent customer service skills
- Requires proactive problem solving and troubleshooting/diagnostic skills.
- Ability to provide after-hours/on-call support for critical services
- Ability to lift standard PC equipment and peripherals for the purpose of installation / moves / replacements / etc. Approximately 50 lbs.
- Experience working in a corporate IT environment
Minimum Training/Education Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related technical degree; or Bachelor’s degree in non-related field accepted with adequate training and experience in Information Technology
- One or more enterprise level certifications such as MCSA or MCP certification
- A+ and/or Network+ certifications
- VMware vSphere certification
- Secret Eligible
Please Note: U.S. Citizenship is required for most MTSI positions.
Opportunities at MTSI
- Joint Simulation Environment - Deputy to the Chief Engineer Edwards Air Force Base,California 02/01/2023
- System Engineering Assurance Engineer Fort Belvoir,Virginia 02/03/2023
- Senior Budget Analyst Huntsville,Alabama 02/03/2023
MTSI maintains an outstanding work environment that includes competitive compensation, outstanding benefits, the opportunity to be an employee-owner, and challenging work assignments with significant opportunities for advancement/career growth. To be considered for employment opportunities at MTSI, you must complete an online application.
EEO Statement: MTSI embraces nine core values including our first core value of Employees come first. Consistent with our Core Values, we are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, military/veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by law. MTSI is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with MTSI and need special assistance or accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation is made on a case-by-case basis.
MTSI posts all open positions of employment here on our official website Careers page. MTSI Recruiters will always make direct personal contact with candidates by either speaking directly via telephone call, face-to-face video conference, or in-person, and will never conduct interviews or extend offers of employment via text or using messaging applications. If you believe you may be the victim of employment fraud, we encourage you to contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) thru their website: reportfraud.ftc.gov.