Cybersecurity Systems EngineerLocation: Lorton, Virginia Categories: Cybersecurity Req ID: 2022-7205 Potential to Telecommute: No
Modern Technology Solutions, Inc. (MTSI) is seeking a Cyber Security Systems Engineer, Weapon Systems Cybersecurity professional to join our team. You will provide security engineering, assessment, and weapon systems security oversight activities that support complex weapon systems.
MTSI’s core capabilities are Systems Engineering and Integration, Modeling and Simulation, Test and Evaluation, Acquisition and Program Support, and Mission Assurance services. Our expertise includes ballistic missile defense, air defense, air vehicle survivability, unmanned aircraft, flight test operations, intelligence support, and cyber/space/homeland defense.
As a recognized "employee comes first" company with over 27 years of consecutive growth we challenge our co-owners to provide the highest level of support and service, and reward them with some of the best benefits in the industry. Day one all new co-workers start accruing PTO at a rate of 20 days, 6% 401k match with immediate vesting, semi-annual bonuses, and eligibility to participate in our Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). We offer other employee focused benefits, including up to $10k in tuition reimbursement and an optional zero dollar deductible BCBS health insurance plan.
For additional company information, please visit: www.mtsi-va.com
MTSI is seeking a Cybersecurity Systems Engineer whose primary function will be to work with Special Access Programs (SAPs) supporting Department of Defense (DOD), Headquarters United States Air Force, and MTSI Operations. The position will provide direct security engineering support to the Air Force acquisition community throughout the system development lifecycle (SDLC).
Your essential job functions will include but may not be limited to:
- Understanding operational needs of systems at varied stages of the SDLC through participation in acquisition meetings (PMR, PDR, CDR, etc.) and concept of operation (CONOP) working groups.
- Designing and developing security requirements that drive down risk while maintaining operational capability.
- Working between architecture-level and implementation-level engineering meetings to maintain a system-wide view of security functions and apply risk mitigation strategies at the appropriate level.
- Guiding and verifying defense contractors’ work against program requirements and goals. This includes participating in technical discussions, trade studies and working groups, and conducting research on industry best practices for potential implementation.
- Interfacing with program managers to explain security goals and mitigations relative to their priorities of cost and schedule.
Due to a long-standing relationship, this position also includes Security Control Assessor duties on behalf of the Authorizing Official (AO).
- Select and tailor controls from the NIST SP 800-53 control catalog in view of system needs and constraints.
- Review system and network artifacts and conduct assessments against selected control baselines, assessing residual risk and providing recommendations to the Authorizing Official.
- Evaluate software and hardware prior to entry to networks.
- 6+ years' of related technical experience.
- Firm understanding of the DoD 8500.1-M, Joint SAP Implementation Guide (JSIG), National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Special Publication 800-53
- Demonstrated ability to assess and articulate risk, including to non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated history finding unique mitigations to varied systems’ security challenges.
- Demonstrated technical proficiency in at least one area of security (e.g. communications, networks, embedded systems, software, system testing or assessment, etc.).
- Strong research skills and a desire to learn new (emerging OR existing but unfamiliar) technologies.
- Strong communication skills, written and oral.
- Able to travel ~30% of time for program meetings.
- Experience with: Special Access Programs, acquisition programs, software engineering or code review
- IAM II (e.g. CISSP, CISM)DESIRED: Sub-field specific certifications. For example – cloud (e.g. CCSP, AWS Solutions Architect), offensive security (e.g. OSCP, GPEN), operating systems (Microsoft/Linux administration), etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related engineering discipline.
Clearance Requirements: An active TS/SCI clearance is desired.
Opportunities at MTSI
- Joint Simulation Environment - Deputy to the Chief Engineer Edwards Air Force Base,California 02/01/2023
- System Engineering Assurance Engineer Fort Belvoir,Virginia 02/03/2023
- Senior Budget Analyst Huntsville,Alabama 02/03/2023
MTSI maintains an outstanding work environment that includes competitive compensation, outstanding benefits, the opportunity to be an employee-owner, and challenging work assignments with significant opportunities for advancement/career growth. To be considered for employment opportunities at MTSI, you must complete an online application.
EEO Statement: MTSI embraces nine core values including our first core value of Employees come first. Consistent with our Core Values, we are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, military/veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by law. MTSI is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with MTSI and need special assistance or accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to email@example.com. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation is made on a case-by-case basis.
MTSI posts all open positions of employment here on our official website Careers page. MTSI Recruiters will always make direct personal contact with candidates by either speaking directly via telephone call, face-to-face video conference, or in-person, and will never conduct interviews or extend offers of employment via text or using messaging applications. If you believe you may be the victim of employment fraud, we encourage you to contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) thru their website: reportfraud.ftc.gov.