Service Desk ManagerLocation: Alexandria, Virginia Categories: Information Technology Req ID: 2022-7126 Potential to Telecommute: Hybrid
Own Your Future. Modern Technology Solutions, Inc. (MTSI) is seeking a Service Desk Manager in Alexandria, VA.
Why is MTSI known as a Great Place to Work?
- Interesting Work: Our co-workers support some of the most important and critical programs to our national defense and security.
- Values: Our first core value is that employees come first. We challenge our co-workers to provide the highest level of support and service, and reward them with some of the best benefits in the industry.
- 100% Employee Ownership: we have a stake in each other's success, and the success of our customers. It's also nice to know what's going on across the company; we have company wide town-hall meetings three times a year.
- Great Benefits - Most Full-Time Staff Are Eligible for:
- Starting PTO accrual of 20 days PTO/year + 10 holidays/year
- Flexible schedules
- 6% 401k match with immediate vesting
- Semi-annual bonus eligibility (July and December)
- Company funded Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) - a separate qualified retirement account
- Up to $10,000 in annual tuition reimbursement
- Other company funded benefits, like life and disability insurance
- Optional zero deductible Blue Cross/Blue Shield health insurance plan
- Track Record of Success: We have grown every year since our founding in 1993
For additional company information, please visit: www.mtsi-va.com
The role of a Service Desk Manager is one that requires strong leadership skills and an ability to manage multiple tasks at once. The individual is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Service Desk, which includes managing individual team members and resolving customer issues or complaints.
Service Desk Manager must be able to juggle competing demands on their time while still maintaining a clear focus on their overall goals. The Manager will coordinate with other Departments or outside vendors to resolve customer issues in a timely manner, all while ensuring that their own team has the resources they need to do their jobs effectively.
Service Desk Manager will have a wide range of responsibilities, which include:
- Leading a team of customer service representatives in handling inquiries from customers, clients, or vendors about products or services
- Ensuring that all issues are resolved in a timely manner by communicating with other departments within the organization as needed to resolve issues
- Managing the team’s workload to ensure they can meet their deadlines while providing excellent customer service
- Owning and solving complex issues while mentoring Service Desk Admins to be able to do the same
- Ensuring submitted incidents and requests are responded to and addressed by the Service Desk team within defined SLAs and XLAs, while ensuring minimal submissions are escalated to IT and Security leadership as needed
- Recommend changes and enhancements to existing Service Desk systems; co-lead implementation of these changes with Tier III support
- Establishing and document repeatable Team processes to ensure consistency and increased productivity within the Service Desk, and ensure they are understood and followed by team members
- Performing customer satisfaction surveys and determining how to best apply them for improved customer service
- Assess performance and identify problems that may need to be addressed with individual team members
- Monitor staff performance to ensure that customer service representatives are providing high quality service
- Maintain an updated administrator knowledge base to document procedures for complex and repeatable administrative actions
- Maintaining a self-service knowledgebase for end-users containing answers to frequently submitted questions/incidents
- Interviewing new candidates for positions on the team to ensure they have the right skillset for the job
- Understanding and supporting company or Department guidance while ensuring the Service Desk Team does as well
- Ensuring proper communication standards are upheld with customers, and the ability to mentor staff to improve their skills in this area
- Communicating with Senior Leadership within and outside of Department on critical issues
- Understanding each direct reports career goals and assisting them in achieving them successfully
- Maintain direct report schedules for appropriate coverage, and reporting up the chain when there is a roadblock per Department policy
- Maintaining a mixture of in office presence and teleworking per Department guidelines; ensuring availability to be reached in office or remote when necessary, by customers, Service Desk team, and IT leadership
- Properly delegating tasks and ensuring they are completed
- Properly prioritizing competing requirements and asking for assistance when needed
Service Desk Manager needs the following skills in order to be successful:
- Communication: Individual must be able to relay information clearly and concisely to customers and coworkers. He/she also needs to be able to listen to and interpret customer requests and relay them to the appropriate team. He/she must also be able to communicate effectively during stressful situations or with challenging customers, focusing on problem resolution.
- Problem-solving: Problem-solving skills allow the Manager to identify the source of an issue and propose solutions to fix it. He/she will use problem-solving skills to troubleshoot technical issues, answer customer questions and resolve workplace conflicts. The goal is to help the team and company save time and resources.
- Organization: Service Desk Manager will be responsible for managing a team of customer service representatives, so it’s important to keep track of their schedules, shifts and other details. He/she will also use organization skills to keep track of customer information, service requests and other data.
- Customer service: Excellent Customer service skills to provide quality service to customers. He/she will use customer service skills to answer questions, solve problems and help customers find what they need. Customer service skills are required to develop empathy, which will help in understanding customer needs and improving the services offered.
- Teamwork: Service Desk Manager must be able to work as a team to help you and your colleagues collaborate on projects and complete tasks efficiently. As a Service Desk Manager, you will need to delegate tasks to different members of your Team and other associated Teams.
- Minimum of 5 years of Service Desk Manager experience
- Background of technical expertise in Microsoft Windows system administration, including but not limited to:
- Deploying, configuring, and troubleshooting desktop, laptops, printers, software, hardware and network/VPN issues
- Installing and upgrading operating systems and application software
- Enterprise phone systems
- Use of systems management tools such as Microsoft SCCM or Endpoint Central
- Active Directory User & Group Management
- Basic understanding of cyber security principles
- BS. degree in Information Technology, Information Systems Management, or similar
- Ability to obtain/maintain a DoD Secret security clearance
Opportunities at MTSI
- Mechanical/Structural Engineering SME Huntsville,Alabama 12/02/2022
- Principal Model Based Systems Engineer - MBSE Digital Engineering Alexandria,Virginia 10/11/2022
- Junior Model Based Systems Engineer / MBSE Digital Engineering Alexandria,Virginia 10/11/2022
MTSI maintains an outstanding work environment that includes competitive compensation, outstanding benefits, the opportunity to be an employee-owner, and challenging work assignments with significant opportunities for advancement/career growth. To be considered for employment opportunities at MTSI, you must complete an online application.
EEO Statement: MTSI embraces nine core values including our first core value of Employees come first. Consistent with our Core Values, we are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, military/veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by law. MTSI is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with MTSI and need special assistance or accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to email@example.com. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation is made on a case-by-case basis.
MTSI posts all open positions of employment here on our official website Careers page. MTSI Recruiters will always make direct personal contact with candidates by either speaking directly via telephone call, face-to-face video conference, or in-person, and will never conduct interviews or extend offers of employment via text or using messaging applications. If you believe you may be the victim of employment fraud, we encourage you to contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) thru their website: reportfraud.ftc.gov.