Orbital AnalystLocation: San Diego, California Categories: Analyst Req ID: 2023-7439 Potential to Telecommute: Hybrid
Own Your Future.
Modern Technology Solutions, Inc. (MTSI) is seeking a Orbital Analyst in San Diego, CA. The Orbital Analyst position requires a detailed understanding of orbital mechanics and will support the Mobile User Objective System (MUOS) / Narrowband Satellite Communications (NBSC) program office as an orbital engineering subject matter expert. You will solve various orbital mechanics problems and process data for orbital states and predictions. You will conduct detailed orbit planning and constellation planning for both pre and post launch satellites.
Why is MTSI known as a Great Place to Work?
- Interesting Work: Our co-workers support some of the most important and critical programs to our national defense and security.
- Values: Our first core value is that employees come first. We challenge our co-workers to provide the highest level of support and service, and reward them with some of the best benefits in the industry.
- 100% Employee Ownership: we have a stake in each other's success, and the success of our customers. It's also nice to know what's going on across the company; we have company wide town-hall meetings three times a year.
- Great Benefits - Most Full-Time Staff Are Eligible for:
- Starting PTO accrual of 20 days PTO/year + 10 holidays/year
- Flexible schedules
- 6% 401k match with immediate vesting
- Semi-annual bonus eligibility (July and December)
- Company funded Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) - a separate qualified retirement account
- Up to $10,000 in annual tuition reimbursement
- Other company funded benefits, like life and disability insurance
- Optional zero deductible Blue Cross/Blue Shield health insurance plan
- Track Record of Success: We have grown every year since our founding in 1993
Modern Technology Solutions, Inc. (MTSI) is a 100% employee-owned engineering services and solutions company that provides high-demand technical expertise in Digital Transformation, Modeling and Simulation, Rapid Capability Development, Test and Evaluation, Artificial Intelligence, Autonomy, Cybersecurity and Mission Assurance.
MTSI delivers capabilities to solve problems of global importance. Founded in 1993, MTSI today has employees at over 20 offices and field sites worldwide.
For more information about MTSI, please visit www.mtsi-va.com.
The Orbital Analyst position requires a detailed understanding of orbital mechanics and will support the Mobile User Objective System (MUOS) contract as an orbital engineering subject matter expert. You will solve various orbital mechanics problems and process data for orbital states and predictions. You will conduct detailed orbit planning and constellation planning for both pre and post launch satellites. You must be proficient with a range of orbital analysis tools.
Your essential job functions will include but may not be limited to:
- Expert in the use of OA tools at 10SOPS such as LM STARS, Orbit Analysis System (OAS), OS Comet, Test & Training Simulator, Black Workstation operations & MAS.
- Conduct orbit analysis and orbit product generation supporting daily orbit activities for large-scale constellations, including station keeping, conjunction analysis, sensor coverage, and ground entry point (GEP) contact planning.
- Apply knowledge of orbital mechanics and astrodynamics to conduct orbital analysis, including orbit determination, general and special perturbation-based data and formats, orbit decay, and orbital maneuvers for station keeping and change of station.
- CGN processes manager for risk tools, document centers, and contract evaluations.
- Perform real time support, troubleshooting and analysis of in-orbit satellite anomalies, providing immediate and relevant problem identification and resolution.
- Provide support for root cause analysis and investigation of satellite anomalies.
- Contribute relevant expertise for Informal Notification Notes (INFO Notes) MUOS Satellite Support Center (MSSC) recommendations, Operational Special Mission Timeline (OSMTL)/Interactive Electronic Technical Manual (IETM)/ Orbital Operations Handbook (OOH) development, and training.
- Develop and maintain operation procedures including the contingency and normal operational procedures and changes as well as database update management.
- Provide in-depth knowledge of the A2100 bus and understanding of satellite subsystems in support of sustainment efforts.
- Communicate complex network solutions to technical and non-technical employees.
- Minimum ten (10) years of space-related experience involving satellite catalog maintenance, orbital analysis, and collision avoidance.
- Toolkit experience, including Systems Toolkit (STK), Orbit Determination Tool Kit (ODTK), and MATLAB.
- Trajectory analysis tool experience such as POST, OTIS, Astrogator, or Copernicus.
- Operations background to include, in-depth understanding of satellite TT&C operations specific to 10SOPS, payload operations, Delta 8 users and Network Management Facilities (Wahiawa NMF).
- Thorough understanding of spacecraft, space operations and ground interfaces.
- System engineering mindset that allows the person to have a global view of problems and solution sets.
- Self-starter with a strong sense of personal responsibility.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering, Space Operations or Physics; or equivalent technical field from a program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).
- Active DoD Secret clearance to start.
- Active TOP SECRET clearance with Sensitive Compartmentalized Information (SCI) eligibility, (Desired).
- U.S. Citizenship is required for this position.
Opportunities at MTSI
- First-Flight Test Director Edwards Air Force Base,California 02/18/2023
- Software Engineer - Big Data Chantilly,Virginia 03/30/2023
- Senior Cybersecurity Engineer Washington,DC 03/30/2023
MTSI maintains an outstanding work environment that includes competitive compensation, outstanding benefits, the opportunity to be an employee-owner, and challenging work assignments with significant opportunities for advancement/career growth. To be considered for employment opportunities at MTSI, you must complete an online application.
EEO Statement: MTSI embraces nine core values including our first core value of Employees come first. Consistent with our Core Values, we are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, military/veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by law. MTSI is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with MTSI and need special assistance or accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to email@example.com. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation is made on a case-by-case basis.
MTSI posts all open positions of employment here on our official website Careers page. MTSI Recruiters will always make direct personal contact with candidates by either speaking directly via telephone call, face-to-face video conference, or in-person, and will never conduct interviews or extend offers of employment via text or using messaging applications. If you believe you may be the victim of employment fraud, we encourage you to contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) thru their website: reportfraud.ftc.gov.